<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, September 06, 2003

As I Lie Dying- POETRY
Unitarian Universalist minister Robert Tucker wrote this poem for folks to think about
ahead of time when confronted with the imminent death of a loved one. It was printed in
the Lakeland paper along with Tucker's explanation. He had witnessed too many
incidents where the terminally ill person was pestered, literally unmercifully, by friends or
relatives concerned that the dying person was not "saved."



As I Lie Dying

If you love me,
As I lie dying,
Respect me, and trouble me not
With your religious beliefs.

Stand not beside my bed and pray.
Cajole me not to be converted.
Share not with me your fears or hopes,
But leave me alone religiously.

The faith I have, such as it is,
Is grounded in years of lived experience.
It is not frivolous or shallow.
It may not be yours; but it is mine.

I am at peace in my living.
I am reconciled to my dying.
Disturb not my tranquillity
With your anxiety.

Know that my religion
Is adequate for me
And let that fact
Be sufficient for you.

Hold my hand and comfort my body.
Let me know the warmth of your presence.
Reminisce with me and tell me
Of our good times together.

But if you love me,
As I lie dying,
Respect me, and trouble me not
With your religious beliefs.



Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?