<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 26, 2005

from "Being A Unitarian, In High School"

by Rachel Kovac

When you start high school you think it is going to be four of the
best years of your life. As a Unitarian in high school, I can tell
you, it's not. Younglife, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, prayer
group, Teens for Christ, etc. Surround you from your first day as
a freshman stepping into a new world. Every day from when I
walk into the school to the time I leave there are constant
reminders that I am one of four UUs in my high school. I am a
minority. I had an
experience in which someone who grew with me in my church
was in the same Sunday School class as me since I was in
Haunting House ridiculed me and my beliefs. These were
beliefs that the person used to hold true to themselves. This
person called me a devil worshipper and convinced their friends
that I was one. The person's friends began calling me this. The
person also made it seem like my beliefs were not important. I
now debate telling people I am a UU. If someone who used to
go to my church can do that to me, how will others respond to
my religion? I still do not understand the person's reasons for
leaving the church and their beliefs behind. One of my friends
tells me "if they don't accept you it's their loss." That
saying has gotten me through the loss of several friends who
just couldn't accept me because of my religion.

I know that there are people who accept us and who don't. I also hope
you know that sometimes we want the support of our friends at
church. If you happen to see a high schooler looking for the UU
army behind them to help explain, go help them.
Also, be the person that you want to be. Respect yourself
even if the people around you do not. And always remember that
you are always welcome in UU churches and that there you will
be respected for who you are and what you believe in.

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?