<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Eugene Victor Debs- “Too long have the workers of the world waited for some Moses to lead them out of bondage. I would not lead you out if I could; for if you could be led out, you could be led back again. I would have you make up your minds there is nothing that you cannot do for yourselves.”

-From an address on Industrial Unionism delivered at Grand Central Palace. New York City, Dec. 18,1905.


Debs made his best-remembered statement at his sentencing hearing:

"Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free."

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?